Monday, December 13, 2010

Build Systems, Not Buckets

Below is an excerpt from my second book My Happy Assets - Small Business Coffee Hour

If you like what you read, check out my first book, My Happy Assets at http://www.myhappyassets.com/ and the complete second book, Small Business Coffee, Three Essential Ingredients for a Successful Business at http://www.smallbizcoffee.com/.

____________________________________________________________________________

“John, If you are not going to go into the business without the intent of building a system, then don’t do it. If you are already in business without a system, then start taking the time now to systematize your business. It is not difficult to do. I think as we go along you will find it to be a task that is not entirely daunting and once you grasp the importance, you won’t be able to operate otherwise.

“First off, I want to address Gerber and answer just what the heck Gerber means by the term “eMyth?” It stands for “Entrepreneurial Myth,” the idea that most businesses are started by entrepreneurs when in fact they are started by technician’s having an “entrepreneurial seizure.” What this means is that a computer programmer will starts a business where she can computer program, the plumber will start a business where he can plumb, the graphic designer starts a business where they can perform graphic design work, so on and so forth. The problem is that the technician who starts the business does not want necessarily want the management and leadership responsibilities that come along with the business. They want to be left alone to do the technical work. If that is the case according to Gerber, if you solely want to be a technician, then keep your day job. Don’t go into business if you don’t want to run a business and deal with the management issues that come along with it.”

“So,” John piped up, “if I am happy with the work but hate my boss, I probably need to take a cold shower and evaluate what I truly want before jumping into a business.”

“Precisely,” I replied. “Now we have already talked about building a personal mission statement and that is truly the first step in building a business.

“Next, I am going to prescribe that you build a business mission statement or statement of purpose. If you don’t have a personal mission statement then you do not have a personal charter or constitution. If you don’t have a business mission statement then the business has no constitution. Do you see how silly it would be to try and have one without the other?

“Think about it … if you start a business, and let’s say you build a business constitution as I am about to prescribe, what is the business constitution going to serve?”

“I suppose me and the business?’ John said.

“The keyword there is business,” I replied. “If you don’t have a personal charter, as discussed earlier, the business will take over. The next thing you have to do is build the business charter and within it, describe how the business will serve the personal constitution. Without it …”

“Me and the business will be one and the same,” John said.

“And you know what that is called John? Work-alcoholism.

“Thus, that is why this is so important and I don’t mean for it to be something hoakey out of left field. Most of the time I get the so-what stare when I prescribe this as one of the first cornerstone’s in building your business. A pretty mission statement that hangs on the wall … so what, right? But if you develop this, and put it into play, I guarantee you will see staff cohesion and a consistent result within your company.

“Also, here is the picture of the strategic planning pyramid. Look what is smack on the top … Ye Olde Mission Statement.”





No comments: